Consultant Clinical Psychologist, Parmeet Soni, specialising in ‘behavioural parent training’ for children with ADHD, gives parental tips to tackle issues of an ADHD child
To Parents of Children with ADHD
Here are a few tips, Parmeet Soni would like to share with parents of children with ADHD:
- • When communicating with the child, make sure the child is fully attentive. You can gain your child’s attention by taking his/her name before giving the instruction.You could gently tap the child’s shoulder or position yourself in a manner, where you are facing the child while talking.
- • Instructions given to the child need to be short and specific. For example: ‘Get your school bag and the blue bottle from your room.’
- • There needs to be a structure and routine at home. Establish simple and clear rules in the house. The rule must be consistent over time and corroborated by all the adults in the family.
- • When teaching the child at home, keep a dedicated study time and incorporate breaks in study plan.Reduce distractions in child’s work space.
- • Work with smaller targets. Make the goal easier to reach, for the child to experience the satisfaction/ pleasure of task completion. Praise the child when they do so.
- • In the dedicated study time avoid giving breaks for restroom, drinking water and eating.
- • Avoid engaging in conversations and arguments during work.Avoid critical comments, raising voices and disrespectful comments.
- • Encourage your child to pursue a sport they are interested in. Part-taking in activities will allow toexpend their energy andhelp in boosting their self-esteem.
WATCH OUT! MHF KOLKATA’S NARRATIVE THERAPY TRAINING
Mental Health Foundation, Kolkata is a service led organization, comprising of multi-disciplinary mental health professionals. It connects Mental Health with Education and Social Care. MHF has been...
TRIBUTE TO RABINDRANATH TAGORE’S POSITIVE VISION
Today, as many of us across the globe celebrate Rabindra Jayanti, we at MHF Kolkata, bring some inspirational quotes of the great bard. For, he was a man who is a living example of how one can...