Consultant Clinical Psychologist with MHF Kolkata, Manisha Bhattacharya, specialises in high functioning Autism or Asperger’s Syndrome. She sends some parental tips to tackle issues of a child with autism.
Here are five tips,Manisha would like to give to parents of children with ASD:
- Talk to the child in single words or small direct sentences according to your child’s understanding. This will help your child to pick up language fast.
- Do not ask him too many questions. This may lead to further anxiety in your child and he may avoid communicating with you.
- ‘Behaviour problems’ are often your child’s only way to communicate. It’s a cry for help. Do not stick to the behaviour only, look for triggers so that you can work on them.
- Avoid saying ‘No’ to him/her. Rather try to tell what they have to do.
- Enjoy your parenthood. Try not to see your child always from the autism angle. Be with your child, play with them and let them be a child of their age too